For Central America I got 2 wrong, Nicaragua and Honduras, you can read my post here. I decided on Nicaragua because I struggled to prounce it, both countries have visited my blog so I went with Nicaragua, but lets see what facts I have found out about it
- Nicaragua lies between 2 countries, Honduras to its North and Costa Rica to its south and between 2 oceans, Pacific Ocean to the west and The Carribean to the East.
- The city of Granada, while not the capital (that is Managua) is the oldest on contential Latin America
- The national currency is Cordoba named after the founder of Granada, Hernandez de Cordoba
- The name Nicaragua comes from two words nicarao and agua. The Nicarao were the Indian tribe who occupied the shores of Lake Nicaragua and agua is Spanish for water
- Spanish is the national language however lots of the population still use their native language which includes the main languages being Miskito language, Sumo Language, Rama Language and Garifuna
- It is the second poorest country in the Americas
- Mar Dulce or Lake Nicaragua is the largest lake in Central America
- Nicaragua has no official street names.
- Many Nicaraguans are descendants of the slaves
- The Palo de Mayo is a dance popular on the Carribean coast, here it is
Lets hope, I don’t forget this beautiful country again