I am excited about this one, because I do know a little bit about it.
- Newfoundland and Labrador is the easternmost province in Canada, it shares the longest interprovincial border in Canada with Quebec
- There seems to be a bit of an argument how to pronounce this, “Noof’nd-LAND” seems to be the correct way. In 1876 a man was killed in a brawl into how to prounce it.
- Despite Labrador being almost twice the size of Newfoundland, 94% of the population live on the island
- At the very northern tip of the island, is proof thet Europeans made it here, in the 1960s a settlement thought to be from the 11th century was discovered here
- In the 1950s, this province had the busiest airport in the world, as planes couldn’t do the full flight from Europe to New York, Gander international became very busy again when 9/11 happened and the planes already flying couldn’t land in New York.
- The original inhabinents were the Beothuk, unfortunatly they were wiped out when the Europeans came over through, disease and they were also slaughtered
- If like me, you enjoy a visit to the pub, George Street in St John has more pubs per m2 than any other place in Canada
- Newfoundland and Labrador has its own time zone, 30 minutes ahead of atlantic time
- There are some interesting town names, my fav being Dildo (because I am immature)
- A lot of the music here, is very celtic and there are some good shantys out there
If you come from here, please say hello
And if you enjoyed this post you can find the others here